Symptoms of Dog Scabies
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Dog Scabies - General Canine Observations
When you are worried about your pet dogs or puppies it is wise to make general observations and a note of your dog's general well-being before considering a health issue and problem such as Dog Scabies. Overall physical condition? Mental attitude? Appetite? Condition of bowels and urinary apparatus? The nose of healthy dogs or puppies is moist and cool but in sick dogs it is usually hot and dry. Hair loss? Dry skin? Discharges? These general observations are useful to consider whilst checking out the symptoms of Dog Scabies.
The life cycle of the Sarcoptes scabei mite which causes Dog Scabies is as follows:
- The adults move on the skin surface and mate in small pockets near the surface of the skin. The adults chew and feeds on live cells and tissue fluid. The male soon dies off after mating.
- The female then burrows into the skin depositing eggs in the tunnel behind her. She then dies.
- Eggs - Are white or cream and are laid on the host where they they hatch into larvae within 3 to 10 days
- Larvae - the larvae moves about on the skin surface and molts into the nymphal stage they also feed on live cells and tissue fluid
- Adult - becomes an adult within 2 weeks of hatching
- Adults live up to 4 weeks on the skin of the host
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Symptoms of Dog Scabies
Dog Scabies symptoms may include the following:
- Dog Scabies symptoms - Crusting of the Skin (Scab Formation)
- Dog Scabies symptoms - Frantic Itching
- Dog Scabies symptoms - Loss of Hair (early stages - patches around the ears, elbows, legs, and face)
- Dog Scabies symptoms - Loss of Hair (later stages affect patches around the whole body)
- Dog Scabies symptoms - Listlessness
Treatment and Remedies - Canine Treatment of Dog Scabies
The remedies and treatment of Dog Scabies may include the treatment of dogs as follows:
- Canine Scabies treatment - The treatment for Canine Scabies usually consists of weekly injections of Ivermectin which is an insecticide for a period of up to four weeks.
- Canine Scabies treatment - It is also recommended to use a medicated dog shampoo. Mites can be found anywhere in the environment, special attention should be paid to making sure brushes, combs, collars, bedding, carpeting and all upholstered surfaces are sprayed with an insecticide.
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health - Canine Insurance / Pet Health Insurance for Dog Scabies
Pet Insurance for Dog Scabies. Remember canine insurance / pet dogs health insurance for treatment of health and medical problems such as Dog Scabies. Unexpected visits to the vet and veterinary treatments for your dogs and puppies due to illnesses such as Dog Scabies can quickly add up so get quotes for canine health / pet insurance coverage for treatment due to accidents, treatment of illnesses, prescriptions, surgeries and possible hospitalization treatment for your dogs or puppy. Get the best deals for pet insurance from pet insurance comparison websites - make sure you get the best rates for canine health insurance to cover visits to the Vet for the diagnosis and treatment of unexpected ailments such as Dog Scabies.
Disclaimer - Dog Scabies Section of Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health Website
The sole purpose of the Dog Scabies section on the Dog Symptoms and Canine Health website is to act as a reference guide to provide useful information to the owners of dogs and puppies. This article on Dog Scabies is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat sick dogs or as a substitute for obtaining professional veterinary advice. Please remember that if you are in any doubt about your Dog's Health, or problems associated with Dog Scabies, please consult your Canine Veterinary Specialist immediately for professional treatment. Your vet will diagnose whether Dog Scabies is the problem and prescribe appropriate medication and treatment.
Treatment and Symptoms of Dog Scabies
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health