Symptoms of Dog Leptospirosis
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Dog Leptospirosis - General Canine Observations
When you are worried about your pet dogs or puppies it is wise to make general observations and a note of your dog's general well-being before considering a health issue and problem such as Dog Leptospirosis. Overall physical condition? Mental attitude? Appetite? Condition of bowels and urinary apparatus? The nose of healthy dogs or puppies is moist and cool but in sick dogs it is usually hot and dry. Hair loss? Dry skin? Discharges? These general observations are useful to consider whilst checking out the symptoms of Dog Leptospirosis.
Dogs who are kept in close confinement such as kennels can increase the spread of infection. Dogs can be infected by contaminated water sources, food, or even bedding. Stagnant or slow moving water provides an ideal breeding ground for Leptospira. The survival rate of the organism in a freezing environment is greatly reduced so infections are much more common in hot, dry climates. Leptospirosis can cause potentially fatal liver and kidney disease so it is vital that treatment is administered as soon as the dog shows any symptoms.
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Symptoms of Dog Leptospirosis
Dog Leptospirosis symptoms may include the following:
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Fever
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Dehydration
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Vomiting
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Shivering
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Muscle Tenderness
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Hypothermia
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Weight Loss
- Dog Leptospirosis symptoms - Lack of Appetite
Treatment and Remedies - Canine Treatment of Dog Leptospirosis
The remedies and treatment of Dog Leptospirosis may include the treatment of dogs as follows:
- Canine Leptospirosis treatment - A blood test carried out by a veterinary surgeon will confirm diagnosis. A urine sample will also provide a positive result as the organisms will be present in the dogs urine.
- Canine Leptospirosis treatment - Once a diagnosis has been confirmed, treatment by antibiotics, anti sickness medication to control the vomiting as well as fluid replacement medication is necessary.
- Canine Leptospirosis treatment - It is possible that the animal may also be suffering from a kidney or liver infection as well as this condition so any infection needs to be treated as well.
- Canine Leptospirosis treatment - Vaccinations can offer protection from Leptospirosis, you should consult your canine health care professional to discuss the vaccination schedule as several options are available to prevent this disease.
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health - Canine Insurance / Pet Health Insurance for Dog Leptospirosis
Pet Insurance for Dog Leptospirosis. Remember canine insurance / pet dogs health insurance for treatment of health and medical problems such as Dog Leptospirosis. Unexpected visits to the vet and veterinary treatments for your dogs and puppies due to illnesses such as Dog Leptospirosis can quickly add up so get quotes for canine health / pet insurance coverage for treatment due to accidents, treatment of illnesses, prescriptions, surgeries and possible hospitalization treatment for your dogs or puppy. Get the best deals for pet insurance from pet insurance comparison websites - make sure you get the best rates for canine health insurance to cover visits to the Vet for the diagnosis and treatment of unexpected ailments such as Dog Leptospirosis.
Disclaimer - Dog Leptospirosis Section of Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health Website
The sole purpose of the Dog Leptospirosis section on the Dog Symptoms and Canine Health website is to act as a reference guide to provide useful information to the owners of dogs and puppies. This article on Dog Leptospirosis is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat sick dogs or as a substitute for obtaining professional veterinary advice. Please remember that if you are in any doubt about your Dog's Health, or problems associated with Dog Leptospirosis, please consult your Canine Veterinary Specialist immediately for professional treatment. Your vet will diagnose whether Dog Leptospirosis is the problem and prescribe appropriate medication and treatment.
Treatment and Symptoms of Dog Leptospirosis
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health