Symptoms of Dog Influenza
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Dog Influenza - General Canine Observations
When you are worried about your pet dogs or puppies it is wise to make general observations and a note of your dog's general well-being before considering a health issue and problem such as Dog Influenza. Overall physical condition? Mental attitude? Appetite? Condition of bowels and urinary apparatus? The nose of healthy dogs or puppies is moist and cool but in sick dogs it is usually hot and dry. Hair loss? Dry skin? Discharges? These general observations are useful to consider whilst checking out the symptoms of Dog Influenza.
Canine Influenza Virus is also referred to as canine H3N8 virus, causes flu-like symptoms in dogs including coughing, sneezing and a runny nose.
The virus was originally detected in horses and it was first discovered in Greyhounds in Florida, USA. Recently a vaccine for the canine influenza virus has been developed in the US but it is not yet part of a dogs routine vaccination program. Dogs who are in constant contact with other dogs, for example Dog shows, parks and boarding kennels are more at risk of developing Canine influenza.
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Symptoms of Dog Influenza
Dog Influenza symptoms may include the following:
- Dog Influenza symptoms - Nasal Discharge
- Dog Influenza symptoms - Cough
- Dog Influenza symptoms - Fever
- Dog Influenza symptoms - Sneezing
Treatment and Remedies - Canine Treatment of Dog Influenza
The remedies and treatment of Dog Influenza may include the treatment of dogs as follows:
- Canine Influenza treatment - Contact your Veterinary Surgeon if the animal has a cough which lasts for more than seven days. It is important to keep the dog away from other animals as this disease is highly contagious.
- Canine Influenza treatment - It is advisable not to take the dog for walks in the park or anywhere where it may come into contact with other animals.
- Canine Influenza treatment - There is a vaccination against Canine Influenza but it is newly available and not yet part of your dogs vaccination program.
- Canine Influenza treatment - Your Veterinary Surgeon is likely to prescribe a course of antibiotics to treat the symptoms once a full examination and diagnosis have been made.
- The vaccination for Kennel Cough will not protect your dog from this disease.
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health - Canine Insurance / Pet Health Insurance for Dog Influenza
Pet Insurance for Dog Influenza. Remember canine insurance / pet dogs health insurance for treatment of health and medical problems such as Dog Influenza. Unexpected visits to the vet and veterinary treatments for your dogs and puppies due to illnesses such as Dog Influenza can quickly add up so get quotes for canine health / pet insurance coverage for treatment due to accidents, treatment of illnesses, prescriptions, surgeries and possible hospitalization treatment for your dogs or puppy. Get the best deals for pet insurance from pet insurance comparison websites - make sure you get the best rates for canine health insurance to cover visits to the Vet for the diagnosis and treatment of unexpected ailments such as Dog Influenza.
Disclaimer - Dog Influenza Section of Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health Website
The sole purpose of the Dog Influenza section on the Dog Symptoms and Canine Health website is to act as a reference guide to provide useful information to the owners of dogs and puppies. This article on Dog Influenza is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat sick dogs or as a substitute for obtaining professional veterinary advice. Please remember that if you are in any doubt about your Dog's Health, or problems associated with Dog Influenza, please consult your Canine Veterinary Specialist immediately for professional treatment. Your vet will diagnose whether Dog Influenza is the problem and prescribe appropriate medication and treatment.
Treatment and Symptoms of Dog Influenza
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health