Symptoms of Dog Colitis
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Dog Colitis - General Canine Observations
When you are worried about your pet dogs or puppies it is wise to make general observations and a note of your dog's general well-being before considering a health issue and problem such as Dog Colitis. Overall physical condition? Mental attitude? Appetite? Condition of bowels and urinary apparatus? The nose of healthy dogs or puppies is moist and cool but in sick dogs it is usually hot and dry. Hair loss? Dry skin? Discharges? These general observations are useful to consider whilst checking out the symptoms of Dog Colitis.
Colitis can also be caused by the following:
Salmonella - A bacterial infection that can be transmitted by the dog eating raw foods such as chicken. Rotten food may be contaminated as well so dogs who have raided the trash can be prone to this disease. If salmonella is suspected then hygiene is paramount as the infection is Zoonotic which means that it can be transmitted to humans as well.
Campylobacter - Is a bacterial infection that dogs can acquire through food or water. It causes gastrointestinal symptoms that range from mild to severe and the condition is called campylobacteriosis and it is often confused with the life threatening canine parvovirus.
E.Coli - Also known as Escherichia Coli, it is a bacterial infection found in the colon and can be transmitted to dogs through infected faeces.
Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health - Symptoms of Dog Colitis
Dog Colitis symptoms may include the following:
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Blood in the stools
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Vomiting
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Diarrhoea
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Dehydration
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Constipation
- Dog Colitis symptoms - Increase in frequency of stools
Treatment and Remedies - Canine Treatment of Dog Colitis
The remedies and treatment of Dog Colitis may include the treatment of dogs as follows:
- Canine Colitis treatment - To treat Colitis, food should be withdrawn for 24- 48 hours.
- Canine Colitis treatment - The dog should have access to fresh drinking water and encouraged to drink as much as possible.
- Canine Colitis treatment - After 24- 48 hours offer the dog some plain white fish or chicken. Vegetable or pasta can be added but it is important not to add any sauce, make the food as bland as possible.
- Canine Colitis treatment - If the Colitis settles down and the symptoms subside the dogs usual diet can be reintroduced gradually. If the change of diet does not affect the symptoms then your Canine Health Care Professional may prescribe antibiotics or corticosteroids.
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health - Canine Insurance / Pet Health Insurance for Dog Colitis
Pet Insurance for Dog Colitis. Remember canine insurance / pet dogs health insurance for treatment of health and medical problems such as Dog Colitis. Unexpected visits to the vet and veterinary treatments for your dogs and puppies due to illnesses such as Dog Colitis can quickly add up so get quotes for canine health / pet insurance coverage for treatment due to accidents, treatment of illnesses, prescriptions, surgeries and possible hospitalization treatment for your dogs or puppy. Get the best deals for pet insurance from pet insurance comparison websites - make sure you get the best rates for canine health insurance to cover visits to the Vet for the diagnosis and treatment of unexpected ailments such as Dog Colitis.
Disclaimer - Dog Colitis Section of Dogs Symptoms and Canine Health Website
The sole purpose of the Dog Colitis section on the Dog Symptoms and Canine Health website is to act as a reference guide to provide useful information to the owners of dogs and puppies. This article on Dog Colitis is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat sick dogs or as a substitute for obtaining professional veterinary advice. Please remember that if you are in any doubt about your Dog's Health, or problems associated with Dog Colitis, please consult your Canine Veterinary Specialist immediately for professional treatment. Your vet will diagnose whether Dog Colitis is the problem and prescribe appropriate medication and treatment.
Treatment and Symptoms of Dog Colitis
Dog Symptoms and Canine Health